Old 03-27-10, 06:41 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Won't get many, if any, bites at that price . . .
Yeah, that's pretty much the down side of over-pricing even when you caveat with "asking" or "negotiable", which this seller did not do.

His wording, "Willing to sell this 2000 model in excellent condition for $5000 (buyer pays shipping and insurance)" says "firm price" + another $100 or more for shipping. Again, if that's what he thinks he needs and he can find someone who sees that as a good value, all the better for him. I would have loved to have gotten $6k for our Erickson because I was certain that it would have been worth it if only because lead time on a new one at that time was about 12 months and all Erickson's are unique, one-offs. But, to get that kind of price I would have had to leave it on the market for a looong time OR get extremely lucky. With the 2nd half payment on our Calfee coming due and my luck, I had to price it using my own guidelines and even then I took a little less than asking which is typical.

In fact, I'd recommend anyone selling a tandem put about a 10% buffer on their bottom line, firm cost so that buyers can be given a chance to make an offer or see there's a willingness to negotiate. I think I had our tandem listed for $5,400 and, again, it sold for a little under $5k... within that 10% negotiating reserve / buffer.