Thread: fix-a-flat
View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 07:58 AM
revelstone

Bikes: centurions (lemans and sports dlx both 1981)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
my feet

cyclinfool you're making sense. stop that!!!!

let me tell you a little story. back in 1974 (i was 18) i decided that i needed a bicycle. you see, my girlfriend had one and i knew if i bought one, i could go riding with her. so i walked 3 miles to the nearest bicycle shop, (didn't have a car or license. didn't have one, didn't want one. My Feet Worked Just Fine.) and I bought a bicycle for $160.00. back then, that was sorta like a 5 or 600 $$ one today. then a couple years later i bought a car, and promptly forgot how to ride. in 2008 i started riding again. gas was going up, and i've gotten cheap.... er, frugal, in my older age. so for my birthday last year i started shopping for a New Shiney Bike. went to the old bicycle shop where i bought my first bike. yes it's still there, in spite of the economy, or maybe because of it. anyway the least expensive bike was about $600.00. they had some that were $6000.00 and more. i could actually afford the $600.00 or the $1000.00 or so bikes. i didn't get one. i looked at other stores. found some for $150.00 to 300. ended up buying one for $169.00 plus tax. want to know something amazing? it gets me around just as good as the $6000.00 bike would have. the other day i'm riding it home from work, waiting at the intersection (red light). some guy walks in the crosswalk (it's his turn), looks at my bike and says "nice ride". so what. my point is, i bought what would work. not a status symbol that some &(&^(*^ would steal from me the moment my back was turned. i've never had a flat on that bike. i've got almost 1300 miles on it in 10 months. as soon as i got it home, i put on the puncture resistant inner tube, used about 1/4 bottle of slime in each tire and then inflated the tires. i also used almost no tread at all 26 X 1.5 street tires. took off the knobbies that were on the bike. never need them, and they pedal too hard. if i actually get a flat, well, i've still got My Feet, and they Work Just Fine. my point is this. by planning ahead, spending wisely, and depending on ME, i have adequate transportation that gets me from A to B. i expect no one to help me. if i have a flat i'll just walk. :-)

p.s. i still have the knobbies. if anyone wants them i'll ship them to ya if you pay postage.