View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 10:21 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are so many reasons to ride. My own focus can vary from ride to ride, minute to minute.

One benefit for me that's on the relaxing scale is where my mind goes during the repetitive nature of pedaling. When I really got into cycling in the 70s, one of the hip things to do was Transcendental Meditation. My contemporaries were spending money to learn how to meditate, being given mantras, all for the purpose of letting their mind wander to a relaxed state without the use of drugs. There were other ways of achieving relaxation - biofeedback machines, etc. I was finding that on my 10 speed I was perfectly capable of riding 20, 30, 40 miles or more without getting overly tired (except my butt - I hadn't started my saddle search yet.) One of the things I discovered on those longer rides was that my mind wandered, seemingly of its own volition, to very interesting and relaxing places. I concluded that I was getting the benefits that the TM people were striving for, while at the same time getting healthy exercise, seeing the countryside in the most enjoyable way, and having a whole lot of fun.

Okay, I've never done TM and I certainly don't know what I'm talking about when I compare it to cycling. But I do know cycling, and I still enjoy how my mind freely wanders while I ride.