akohekohe
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Getting From New Orleans to Venice, LA

Here is my situation. I am riding in a supported tour along the Mississippi from New Orleans to Minneapolis. However, I want to do the whole river and I have worked out riding from Minneapolis to Lake Itasca (and flying home from Bemidgi) but I also want to do the portion of the river from the "You Have Reached the Most Southern Point in Louisiana" sign just south of Venice to New Orleans. My problem is getting to the sign. The Tour orientation starts at 3:30 in the afternoon of May 10 at the Airport Hilton and I get into MSY on the evening of May 8th (commitments at work prevent me from getting in any earlier). If I follow the Mississippi River Trail (MRT) it is about 130 miles which is certainly doable if I can get to the sign to start the ride sometime on the morning of Sunday, May 9 (I can stay somewhere along the MRT the night of the 9th). My problem is getting myself and my bike to the sign Sunday morning. I figure I could take a taxi the 90 miles (as the car drives) from the hotel to Venice but that probably is going to be very expensive so I am asking for suggestions for other ways to get there that will fit into the above time frame. One thing that may give me more options is that my bike is an Alex Moulton which has small wheels and separates so it will fit in most trunks.

Last edited by akohekohe; 03-28-10 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added the Moulton part, fixed day of week