Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
You know, I never quite understood that before this weekend. In southeastern PA the hills are short, steep rollers and it was hard for me to get any kind of rythm going....
Exactly! That's why I'm always saying too many riders shy away from big climbs after attempting ashort 1/2 miler when they shouldn't. I'm alwys tryig to talk Clydes up the hills/mtns for that reason. It's an eye opener!

Like you said, short hills don't allow you to find the rythm. By the time you even think about working into the climb it's over and the rider feels nothing but the pain. Doing a long climb makes you realize it's enjoyable once you find that groove.

Originally Posted by zoste
Mt. Lemmon my rythm was in my bail out gear and I was going about 9 mph , but I know that'll improve.
That's good! I maintain an 8.5 mph average up a 6% 8 mile climb. I start and stay in my lowest gear the entire time. Don't worry about it, like you said, it get's better/faster. Use that low gear!

Besides, we all know that the stories your read of guys averaging 24 mph uphill on huge gears, superlite tires, climbing wheels and super supplements are bogus! I've met quite a few that couldn't match my low gear 8 mph!