Old 03-30-10, 07:53 AM
BigUgly
I Ride, Therefore I Am

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been dealing with knee pain for the past several years but not much from riding but from playing volleyball and I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents worth from my expereinces from the several physical therapist visits(I am not a medical professional). The biggest thing is do not ice it. Ice contracts the muscles and reduces the blood flow that is needed to help fix the area in pain. Blood flow is what your body uses to cure what is ailing it, the more blood flow to the inury area the better. Icing a large area will reduce that and contract the musles around the knee joint. Stretch, stretch, and stretch some more. Most knee issues are caused by tight muscles. Quads, Hamstring, and calf muscles. Even your lower back muscles. Rest also helps. I start by stretching my lower back which is essentially reaching down and touching your toes. You don't have to keep your knees perfectly straight because you want to stretch your lower back muscles. Each stretch should last for a solid 30 second count(1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc.) Then move on to your hamstrings. Place your foot up on a chair and reach for your ankle for 30 seconds. You really do not have to keep your knee straight. Striaghten it out as you get more flexible. Then do your quads, heel to butt, and as you get more felxible start pulling your heel up higher and press your knee backwards. Then your calves. Do this 3-4 times a day, it only takes about 5 minutes. I used to think all this was hokie until I started doing it often. My knee pain has dissappeared (except when I don't stretch for about a week or so and they go play volleyball or ride hills). Give it try, it doesn't cost anything. I just want to say that I am not a medical professional and there are no gaurantees, this was just my experience. If you need to use ice, just use 1 cube for a couple of minutes to pinpoint the exact pain and kind of do an ice massage directly on the pain point. (I know several people that have had their hip or knees replaced and the docs want them up and moving right away so that they heal properly. Keep the blood flowing)