Old 04-04-10, 12:53 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I hate to sound all preachy and law-abiding here, but there isn't any question about this. if we're going to scream about being legitimate vehicles and having all the rights of cars, we have to follow the rules they do. Stop at the damn stop sign. Get some shorts that fit. Learn to spell "butt" and figure out the difference between "hanged up" and "hung up." And realize that nobody cares about your crack.
Well, that ain't necessarily so. A couple years ago, I was stopped by an officer and given a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I thought that I had stopped, but possibly I had just gotten careless and slowed down to 1-2 mph and gone. So I got to wondering..... and I started observing other drivers when they came to a stop sign and there was no other traffic. I did this for a couple of weeks and I saw people slow way down, but not one came to a complete stop. I hear the line all the time that cyclists should always stop at stop signs. Bikes are different than cars. Cyclists are generally higher up and can see better. Also cyclists are approaching the stop sign and can safely yield to cross traffic without coming to a complete stop. And as I just mentioned, you can watch drivers for days and not see a single one come to a stop unless they have to wait for cross traffic.