View Single Post
Old 04-04-10, 08:31 PM
MikeWinVA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd stay away from the Workman bikes. The one's I've seen are built with mild steel and are very, very, heavy. Sorta like a bike built out of gas pipe....might be fine on a level factory floor without a headwind.

A good suspension free, hybrid/cross/mtb with mtb/hybrid wheels would be good and pretty bomb proof. Get some Schwalbe 26x2.35 or 700x60 Big Apples and you will be loving life.

Their are 2 problems you might face with the Globe Carmel, the seat post and the forks. I was 290 and was not able to get any suspension seatposts that would work with my weight, and you are a bit more. I also found that the front suspensions would bottom on mild bumps and I could not preload it high enough to avoid this. You might want to look at the Globe Vienna, I have ridden one and it was pretty bombproof and snappy handling, has good sized tires and clearance for fenders if you plan to commute. FYI I ended up on a Specialized Sirrus.

Regardless of whichever bike you get, the most important thing is FIT. A good priced bike that doesn't fit is like a pair of good priced shoes that don't fit, a bargain for someone but not you. If it fits right, it will be comfortable. If it is comfortable you will use it. FYI most seats that come with bikes are not that good. Find a shop that will let you try a seat out and return it if it doesn't work. I am partial to Specialized saddles because they work for me and they have a "30 day try it/return it" policy. You should know after 2 weeks of daily riding if the saddle works for you.

Last edited by MikeWinVA; 04-04-10 at 09:35 PM.