Thread: Thun Trail Ride
View Single Post
Old 04-05-10, 09:10 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thun Trail Ride

Saturday morning I was going to meet a bunch of Bike Forums posters for a ride on the Perkiomen Trail. But after working Friday night, I rolled over, looked at the clock, and went back to a troubled sleep. I had a dream that people took my bikes from me because I didn't ride 'correctly' - the right number of miles, the right bike, the right gear, etc. Perhaps it was prompted by my being out of shape from a horrible riding winter, perhaps it was from the straitjacket I find group rides to be.

Later that afternoon, I headed out to the Thun Trail, near Reading. I rode into town, passing the "spirit of the waters" sculpture on Penn Street.

I didn't ride too far in town, however, since PA's 5th largest city is on the slopes of a mountain. This photo, from the trail, shows Mount Penn in the distance. Note the Pagoda, Reading's claim to fame, atop the mountain. Last year's Assault on Mount Penn ride was a rainout, but I'll try that hillclimb again later this year.

On the way back I stopped at the trailside graveyard. This little family plot survived land grabs from the canal, railroad, and Rt. 422. The building in the photo is a explosive storage shed from the Reading Railroad.

I took a sip of water, put down my bottle on the stone fence, and went among the headstones to pay my respects. As I walked back I heard a hissing sound, and a rattle. I looked at my water bottle, and shouted "Doug! You're back!"

I left Doug the Diamond Back Anacondasin Mamba with my water bottle and headed back down the trail. I explored some of the little side roads along the trail and river, and stopped at the Allegheny Aquaduct as the light began to fade.

16 miles total riding. The only problem was my usual one with discomfort and chafing from the Brooks saddle. Frankly, if I can solve that problem, I can ride forever - the legs seem to work just fine despite the layoff over the winter.