Old 04-05-10, 10:56 AM
SpeedWell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thoughts on bike frames

Hey guys,

I am still relatively new to this forum, as well as single speed/fixed gear bicycles. I have been a daily commuter for some time now, and have been riding bikes that are near death and are only found at my local bike coop. Needless to say, I break a lot of these bikes. Over the last few months, I have found myself becoming more and more interested in building a single speed. I wish to build my bike for the reason of quality control (not having to replace parts that I am unhappy with) and also to 'build my own horse,' as I have found a tremendous sense of empowerment through cycling.

I have been reading through this forum, and I have been scouring the internet like a madman in search of information on current bikes and bike parts. I have also been checking all the local sources for parts, including the random guy who recycles bikes in his spare time.

What I am asking about:

I am looking for a bike frame in the $300-$600 range. Price isn't the biggest concern; build quality, weight and looks (of course) are all very important to me. I was wondering what opinions you guys had on frames in this category.

So far the bike frames I have found that have piqued my interest are the following:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=45917 Like it, looks spiffy is made of a decent (not the greatest but not terrible) aluminum alloy. Scared of it because I have not seen any sort of review on this frame anywhere.

Kilo TT, seems to be a classic... Do I need to link to it?

One thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around, is how a cro-moly frame can run anywhere from $200-$1000 and not look any difference. I am really attracted to aluminum right now because I can understand the difference. If any of you can help me out with this, that would also be appreciated as this would surely help me make a decision.