View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 08:14 AM
MrClyde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my experience, recovery drinks will not make the soreness disappear. I can't feel the difference between a recovery drink, chocolate milk, or a sensible snack. If I don't eat anything, I feel terrible a couple hours after the ride. But if you find something you like that works for you, go for it.

As far as tapering prior to the event, I don't taper until about a week out. 7 days before a big ride I may still do a practice ride of similar distance. I would recommend the weekend before you do a normal "long" ride, which may or may not be the full 60 miles. Then if you are used to the short midweek rides, do 3-4 of those at low to moderate intensity during the week, then take Friday and Saturday and rest for your ride. At the event, you will probably get extra motivation due to the excitement, other riders, etc so the biggest thing to remember is take it easy the first 20 miles or so. Don't burn all your matches in the first 10 miles trying to keep up with someone else. Know your pace and your plan and stick to it.

Oh, and make sure you tell us how it went!