View Single Post
Old 04-09-10, 10:44 AM
jcoulighan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handlebar questions

My current handlebars are uncomfortable for me. They're old straightforward road drops, with almost no flare. When I'm in the drops, I'm constantly bumping my forearms against the top flats, where the curve begins. I have another bike with randonneur bars, which are more comfortable, since the flared drops put my wrists outside the flats. But they're a good deal wider than I'd like, and the drops are too shallow.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone knows of track-style drop bars, with drops that flare outwards more than usual. Ideally, even with the flare, they would be pretty narrow (my current bar is 39cm by my measurement, and I'd like a new one which is no wider - even narrower would be better.)

I've been considering the Soma Major Taylor 38cm bars (see here) but I'm not sure how they're measured. Handlebar width is usually measured center-to-center at the middle of the curves, as opposed to center-to-center at the bar ends, right? Since the Major Taylors flare out so much, would this make them much wider than 38cm at their widest (i.e. if you measured the distance between the bar ends)?

If anyone knows the answer to that question, or has any other handlebar recommendations for me, it would be appreciated.

Thanks