Old 04-09-10, 11:48 PM
deep_sky

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even at your weight, as long as you are riding smoothly on paved roads, a suspension fork should not collapse unless you take to bunny hopping off curbs or it is set improperly. I myself would find it annoying as the suspension sucks up energy I'd rather be going to my pedals rather than being dissipated into the pavement. I would be more concerned with wheel strength, as the frame of any decent hybrid or mountain bike will be able to support you provided you don't abuse it
At the budget you are looking at, not much has an absolute weight limit, so if things start breaking, then they should be covered by warranty, but I would ask first before buying just to make sure. A 36 spoke wheel is generally very strong (more spokes = more strength). Cycling is a sport that favors the light and not so tall, so when you fall outside of that, it can be problematic to find the right equipment in your budget that works for your needs. Cycling also is a hobby with a pricey front-loaded cost because you have to buy a bike, buy necessary clothing and accessories for the bike, tools for basic maintenance of the bike, and if you plan to start going longer distances, equipment to fix a flat and such.