BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Im moving to electric

While resarching trailers I happened across a few that had motors put in them - ie Push Trailers. After seeing this I thought I'd try giving it a go myself.

I got a motor 36V 500Watt, which came with a cog/sprocket that doesn't match up with a bike chain?
I stripped down a bike wheel and seperated all the cogs. I got my mate to weld a plate onto one of the cogs then drill and file a hole so that the plate slips over the motor spindal. I then stripped the large cog/chainring of an old bike pedal and got my mate to weld that onto the freewheel cog on a bike wheel. I then hooked everything up to a trailer and tested it. It ran ok if a little off center.

Motor and wheel setup.

I dont think that the little towball I have on my tow arm would hold up to the stress put on it by any motor.

Towball Hitch.

So I took the towarm off my monowheel trailer and attached it to my motor trailer as I thought this would be a stronger setup. After a test ride (no motor on, need to get batts) I found the bike unsteady and pulled to one side? I think this maybe because my mate welded the towarm a bit squint?

Trailer with monowheel tow arm.

After a few test run I wasn't happy with the way the trailer felt while towing, the trailer pulls like im riding a trike, wheels come off the ground when cornering.

Humm!! My trailer needed rotation. So I added another steering stem onto the angled plate to give the trailer rotation to see if it helps.

Trailer Rotation.

As you can see from the pictures the trailer now has rotation in all directions. The added purple stem allows the bike to tilt when cornering and the trailer stay put with both wheels on the ground.

The trailer/motor (Push Trailer) setup is still in the design/build stage. I need to get a few things - speed controller/throttle and some new batteries -(the ones im using are passed there best).

I'll keep you all updated on any progress I make - Keep yer fingers crossed

Regards
Tom