View Single Post
Old 04-10-10, 09:30 AM
AerobaticDreams

Bikes: 2009 Bianchi Roadie,1977 Columbia Roadie, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek 830, Centurion LeMans, Rans V-Rex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had posted this here because along with the fact that a cyclist is one of our own, he was also noted and beginning a pro level involvment with the sport. I would suspect he was a fairly careful rider if he was at this level. I was more than a little surprised at the lack of coverage in other news outlets, and believe that the word should be spread when stupity takes a life. It's up to all of us to send letters, go to courts and do what it takes to see laws get enforced.

Last year a notable friend of mine, a member of the National Vet's Fencing Team, was killed by a drunk driver. I took the time to write the judge asking for a stiff sentance for the killer. She did not hand one down, so I took the time to write another letter expressing my disgust at her handing down such a light sentance. The judges need to know the public expects them to handdown fitting punishment. I am rather unsure how to keep up the details of this incident, but I still want to believe that the public getting involved in expecting laws to be enforced matters.

The Greenspot area is a favored riding area for many cyclists around here. There is a quaint little store in the actual location called Greenspot, and a couple of roads extending away from it that are a nice ride. I believe this death occured between Greenspot and the Highland area on a stretch of road with little to no buildings along it.

There is also a difference between street racing, and driving like a moron all the time. Street racing used to be when people who took the time to mod cars challengd each other, went to a secluded, safe place and raced each other. As devolpment took those areas, true racers took it to the track to maintain their interest in racing. In the IE, there seems to be an ever-increasing amount of Import types driving like morons all the time. Maybe I'm getting old or something, but at my worst I never dove through traffic and cut cars off like these clowns do. I think it's unfair to lump these drivers in with racers, they are nothing of the sort. Perhaps budget cuts removing driver's d classes are a bad idea. Driving is a skill that needs to be understood. For myself, I would rather they cut the football teams and stadiums than Drivers Ed. I will never have to play football in public, but I will have to deal with drivers every day.

Let's keep track of this case for the memory of the rider, and our own future safety.