View Single Post
Old 04-15-10, 08:10 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
I lived in Salisbury, NC for about five years and really liked it. Classic small town (25,000) but with all the stuff I needed. Close to Charlotte but a lot less expensive and no traffic. Winston and Greensboro just up the road. Raleigh just a little further away. I-77, I-85, I-40 all right there.

Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway is about two hours away. Pamlico Sound about three hours. Savannah and Charleston about four.

I chose it mainly because of the riding possibilities. Rolling Piedmont terrain. I could leave my garage and in three directions be in the country in 5 to 15 minutes. I had what I consider great loops of 25 to 75 miles on not too bad a surface. I lived near the city park and if I was pressed for time I could do loops of about a 3/4 mile around it. Each loop contained about 400 feet of climbing and being a figure 8 set up had some variation in course. There was an annual race and some avid local riders. It's been about five years since I lived there so I don't know whats changed.
A lot of my rides take me over and around Salisbury so would agree it is a terrific riding area. In fact, there is a group that comes down from Canada towards the end of winter every year that stay a week in Salisbury to so some training. They still have the crits there every August. Also, there are a number of very strong and talented riders that live in Salisbury.