View Single Post
Old 04-19-10, 05:55 PM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
A nice little essay. "Bicycle Stink Face" -yep, I've seen it. Probably made it on more than one occasion, too. Though the first time my wife came to watch me do a bike race she asked, "Why are you the only one smiling?" I think that either my grimace resembles a smile from a distance or every lap I saw her I didn't want her to know how much I was suffering so I threw her a big smile.

I'm pretty old school- I'm a wave or thumbs up rider because my riding dates back to a time when to see another adult on a bike was like finding a long lost relative. I can recall a time when we would chase down other riders going the opposite direction just to find out who they were and where they were riding to/from.

The only thing I took issue with was this:

when an apparent novice wobbles past at 16 m.p.h.,

I wish I could claim to ride at 20 mph + at all times but 16 is just fine... especially on a bike path.

And 16 mph is hardly "wobbling" speed. Secondly, how does he know it's not some randonneur making their way back from a 250 miler? I'd hate to be judged by my speed after having hammered 100 miles into the wind with another very hilly 40 to go as I toodle along on the Norwottuck Bike Trail for a stretch on my way to my house on the other side of the state. I probably look like any "newbie" and I guarantee you I'm making the "stink face" big time and can often barely lift my hand for a wave. Last thing I need is for some fellow cyclist sitting on a bench watching me go by mocking me for not maintaining an impressive enough speed to warrant the cycling specific clothing I am wearing, which I find comfortable on such a long ride.

Which brings up this point for Robert to consider- all events are relative to the observer. The observer is a part of the event. I'm curious what kind of face he was making as he watched all these cyclists go by. Perhaps at some subliminal level they each felt they were being judged by the observer by the side of the path and put on a little extra speed or put on their "stink face" in response to his judgmental gaze.