genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Laika
This is true for any vehicle IMO. I learned to drive in a car that had no side mirrors and as a result I ALWAYS turned my head to look, even in other cars. It's this practice that I'm trying to carryover into cycling, and I've mastered the mechanics of turning to look...my problem, really, is in assessing the information gained by the look back. Aside from the enthusiastic mirror advocacy, the most useful thing I've seen here so far from all the kind and thoughtful suggestions has been to increase the length of time I spend looking. I'm going to try to work on that.

As for the benefits of being seen as you turn your head, I agree, and yet have to say the head turn is the least noticable thing I do in traffic to communicate my intentions. I''ve largely abandoned traditional hand/arm signals in favor of big, broad, unambiguous hand/arm signals, namely a noticable wave to the motorist and then an emphatic pointing motion at the space I'm going to occupy once I move. I've gotten good results in Brooklyn & downtown Manhattan this way...most cars will back off a little, even.

Thanks again for all the advice, folks.

The head look back does not communicate nearly as well as a full body look back... I too always look back... after thinking I have the situation in my mind from the mirror... I then look to confirm it. I call this the "motorists' glance back."

The "full upper body look back" though tends to show more of a "I am looking for a place to merge..." it takes a bit more time, as you now have to assess the whole scene in that look... not just verify what you saw in the mirror... needless to say... you better know what is in front of you first... and hold your line as you look back.