Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kneez
Right on, Mr. Beanz!

Now, I'll ask a question born of ignorance, but do aerobars really make that much of a difference for most of the you's and me's out there riding for fun and exercise? Are the really so much better than the drops?

As you can tell, I am suspicious but I admit that I have never used them.
They do depending on style. I've used them and certainly there is again in speed, about 1 mph in my experience. Combo of aerodynamics and postion of leg muscle action on the bike. But they do take some time to adapt. First ride is shakey but with practice, very stable. For some riders, long distance riders appreciate the bars for long sections against headwinds. More postions on the bike. Amazing how comfy it can be to lean on the elbows every now and then vs the hands all day long. I do centuries so I don't really miss any addd comfort that another rider may appreciate on a 300 mile event.

For me and my style, aerobars would be added weight while climbing. Not that I'm a weight weenie but I don't need them on climbs and I wouldn't use them on descents either. So no beneifts here. I'm actually pretty good on descents so the minute benefit I would gain on a desent with aerobars is not worth the security of having the brake levers at hand, IMO.