View Single Post
Old 04-22-10, 11:34 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Zizka
Given the ability of drivers to miss flashing blue lights and to drive into vehicles stopped on the shoulder for traffic stops, I can't blame him for thinking that.
It's silly. If they miss flashing blue lights on the shoulder, what magic causes them not to miss them in the middle of the road where they are usually (99.99%) driving?

Originally Posted by genec
Since drivers can also plow into the back of stopped giant trash trucks, what magic is Chipseal depending on to make his narrow bicycle profile (as seen from behind) stunningly more visible? From behind a cyclist can appear as narrow as a telephone pole, and if there is glare, that cyclist can be invisible. Since a cyclist has neither flashing blue lights nor the width of most vehicles on the road, there is a very good chance that a cyclist is even easier to overlook, especially when drivers may assume that a cyclist is not likely to even be on some roads...
I hear an echo!

Originally Posted by randya
The funny thing about two lane rural roads in Texas with 8-foot wide shoulders is that motorists commonly use the shoulders at speed, to pull over and let faster traffic pass them on their left. It's just part of the Texas driving experience.

So Chipseal has a valid concern for his safety cycling on those shoulders. OTOH, he's probably inviting some redneck in an F-150 to pass him on the right using the shoulder if he insists on taking the lane all the time.
The defect is the assumption that it is always more or less safe one way or another. There isn't any data to be able to tell.

============================

While I'm not advocating one thing or another (I'll let the particular cyclist make the choice they feel is appropriate for themselves), this thread is embarrassingly "agenda driven" and an unattractive misuse of a tragedy.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...der&highlight=

(I do think that chipseal is being charged contrary to the law.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-22-10 at 12:04 PM.