Old 04-22-10, 07:55 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by duffymcpatzer
I see myself moving to Brevet style/distance riding as I ride more. That said I guess I still see a Brevet as a "race" at least with yourself and a clock. At 200K and even 300K brifters are my choice, but then you guys and gals start to go insane distances but it is a very different type of ride than a tour....
It is, and it isn't.

It is very different than a tour, in that (similar to what you noted) you are doing huge distances with minimal breaks, minimal gear, and usually some form of support. (Though many tours do either use SAG vehicles or frequent stops.)

It is similar though in that many people prefer a very similar setup for a 300k+ ride as they will want for a tour. E.g. a somewhat relaxed geometry, wider tires, lower gearing, robust components, more compliant frame, perhaps a handlebar bag.

Plus there is a bit of crossover for riders who like to do ultras and like to tour, and likely use the same bike for both purposes.

One other minor item to consider: When doing ultras, one major location of discomfort is in your hands. Using barcons does get you to change up your hand position more frequently than brifters.

Other than personal preference, hand changes, and a small edge in terms of reliability, I don't think there's too compelling a need to bar-end shifters just for ultras. If you're going to use the same bike to tour and for ultras, it makes more sense.