Old 04-23-10, 07:08 PM
techman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best security practices for folding bicycles

I'm about to purchase my first folding bicycle (Bike Friday Tikkit).
The main reason I'm buying a folding bike is so I can easily keep a bicycle in my car
for road trips, spontaneous rides, one way trips with my car. But I will also be using my Tikkit for commuting, errands
and other events.

Outside Security: I know this has been debated to death, but there are times I will need to lock
my folding bike outside. Currently, I secure my road bike to a rack with a u-lock and secure
one of my wheels to the frame with a cable lock. Using both types of locks has giving me an extra
layer of security. When I lock my bike to a street pole, I reverse things, using a cable lock to secure
the bike to the pole and the u-lock to secure a wheel to the frame. A thief needs to defeat both types of
locks to ride or walk away with the bike. I'm wondering if there are different or better security practices when locking a folding bicycle outside. I've thought about those heavy-duty bicycle chains, but they are very heavy to carry.

Inside Security. With a folder, I can take my bicycle inside with me on errands or to events, restaurants. I know
that Bike Friday offers a nice shoulder carrying bag. But what do you do with your folding bicycle once inside?
Just leave it unattended in a corner? Lock it to something inside where you are? Or just keep it next to you
and watch it at all times? Do you take it with you to the rest room?