View Single Post
Old 04-24-10, 12:55 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by teamontherun
Well after re reading the laws here, I guess they are not required. The law pretty much says they are and they are not. I might just put it in my trunk bag and if for some reason I get pulled over and asked why I dont have a plate, I will show them it along with the registration paper.
There's a thread that specifically discusses California law, and yes, some e-bikes there have to be registered. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...&highlight=DMV
Some other states also require more powerful e-bikes to be registered as mopeds. Many use standards set out in the federal law that dictates which safety standards to apply to ready-made e-bikes sold the in the US as a guide to determine what e-bikes should be considered mopeds and require licensing. Everyone should check their state's statutes to see if their e-bike must be licensed and insured.

Let me dispel the misunderstanding held by many in the e-bike community. There is no federal law that allows you to ride your e-bike and treat it as an ordinary bicycle with respect to operation and insurance. Congress has left it up to the states to determine whether e-bikes may be operated on public roads. What Congress did do in 2002 was respond to big bicycle manufacturers lobbying against the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) assertion of it's right to promulgate safety regulations for all ready-made e-bikes in the US. In 2002, Congress enacted Public Law 107-319, which created two distinct classes of e-bikes for purposes of federal safety regulations--low-speed electric bicycles and all others. "Low-speed electric bicycles," which is defined as "a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.," must only meet safety standards set for consumer bicycles by the Consumer Product Safety Administration. All other e-bikes must meet the safety standards for mopeds/motorcycles set by the NHTSA. At present, the safety standards apply only to ready-made e-bikes, not conversion kits. However, I think it's simply a matter of time before conversion kits get covered by some kind of federal safety standards as China exports more powerful hub motors.