View Single Post
Old 04-26-10, 07:22 AM
LongRide34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Health Insurance - US Tour - US Resident

I have an insurance question. I'll throw it out there and see what you guys think.

I am a US citizen, although I've lived outside of the US for a year and have no US health insurance. I am moving back to the US in a week and need to get some health insurance. I do not own a car (big city, no need), and therefore have no car insurance.

I am going on a 2.5 month trip across the US via the Northern Tier this summer.

My question is: can I buy a typical health insurance policy and expect to be covered in case of injury on the bike while touring?

Since I'm moving back to the US, I would obviously buy health insurance in any case, b/c the US is not the place to risk it. But will a normal policy work for me? I have not read the fine print on any of the policies, but I've heard that bike injuries are only covered if the bike is being used for recreation occasionally, and not if you're living on your bike.

A normal health care policy covers you in every state, correct?

I've also heard that injured cyclists are covered via their AUTO insurance if they are struck by a motorist without insurance or without proper insurance. Not sure how this works or if it's true, but since I don't have AUTO insurance, is this an issue?

Basically, what would you recommend for a US resident with no insurance looking to pick up something that will cover him on and off the bike, health-wise?

**At this point, I'm only concerned with health insurance, not property insurance. I also want to apologize if this post comes across as clueless, but I'm pretty ignorant with regard to health insurance (parents' coverage, then government coverage, then overseas employer, and now...). Also, I've searched the forum and haven't come up with much, so I appreciate the help. Most threads just devolve into an angry discussion about the US health care system.