View Single Post
Old 04-28-10, 11:21 PM
elemental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Quote removed]

. . . I should have added "with the dropout-ejecting issue," which doesn't seem completely 100% accepted yet in itself (though I don't doubt it). Bigger rotors definitely exert more force in a number of directions (definitely on the hub and fork leg), but all I have found so far is an argument that the ejecting force is greater with smaller rotors. Other than that, all I have is a free body diagram drawn with MS Paint. Annan himself makes no comments on rotor size on his site. While my intuition says a bigger rotor would be a bigger issue, the argument for smaller rotors sounds as good as mine, so I call it a wash until I can find better info.

I really don't doubt my fork and hub's ability to handle a rotor that big, I just can't figure out for sure whether the bigger rotor makes the quick release thing a really serious threat. Like I said, steep nasty terrain has made 203s a fixture here about as long as they've been around, and I think people bombing rocky steep ridge descents are using at least as much force as I will be cruising downtown.

Last edited by elemental; 04-29-10 at 09:22 AM.