View Single Post
Old 04-30-10, 07:21 PM
kludgefudge

Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
there are no right turns along this segment of cycle track, the entire cycle track is bordered on the right by the campus of Portland State University.
This is about the only kind of situation I can think of where a "cycle track" would be my idea of a best option. no right turns and no close by alternate thruway that you could designate as a "bike boulevard" uninviting to motor traffic, due to the university campus. I don't think this type of infrastructure would be appropriate for a roadway with real intersections though.

EDIT: I also wanted to mention that the "CG" portion of the video showed the cycletrack being used on a street with cross traffic. thats what the little green boxes were for. Its all well and fine that this particular cycletrack doesn't actually need this, but the idea was put forward in the video that "cars allready have to look out for pedestrians when making right turns". this does not guarantee the same level of safety for cyclists. you don't have to be some kind of "spandex racerboy" to travel at 20kph or so. Cars are not used to checking for that sort of higer speed traffic on their right side when making a right turn, let alone with that traffic lane on the other side of a line of parked cars. Maybe in practice this isn't as big an issue as some of us are imagining it to be, but still. It's an issue.

Last edited by kludgefudge; 04-30-10 at 07:31 PM.