Thread: Change pedals
View Single Post
Old 04-18-05, 05:57 AM
capsicum
Evil Genius

Bikes: '92 novara ponderosa, '74 schwinn le tour, Novara fusion, novara transfer, novara randonee(2), novara careema pro, novara bonita(2).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mainly like clips or clipless because my foot won't accidentally slip off. I have scars from slipping off forward and having the pedal's sharp bits wack the back of my leg.
I do think you should at least ditch the resin for some metal pedals like bear claws or whatever they call them now $15-20 a pair and they will take a beating, my old resins broke nearly in half(not unridable but not good either). I have had a pair of bear claws on my MTB for over 7 years without lubing and they still turn quite nice.
Don't worry about unsealed bearings just lay the bike on its side and dribble some oil or other lube in there once in a while, it has kept my 1974 schwinn pedals going all these years. On the other hand my new crankbrothers pedals with sealed bearings are quite stiff turning compaired to my other pedals because of the seals and the heavy grease(I think I may flush them with a very light grease after they get broke in)