View Single Post
Old 05-01-10, 08:02 PM
tjc4golf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cable Housing Questions

I just changed an older hybrid from a 7 speed to a 9 speed. It's all assembled, I've ridden it around a bit and it rides well (for the most part... see question #3). Now I just have a few questions regarding final adjustments/tweaks. Please click on image thumbnails for full size view.

1. Housing Ends - Why is the wire of the housing sticking out? I’m guessing this happens when the housing is bent and one side is longer than the other??? Is this a symptom of being too long (please see question #2 below)? Should I trim the wires hanging out of the housing? I have a couple extra black plastic tip covers left over… am I supposed to put them on the housing where the housing meets the cable stops too (I just have them where the cable meets the levers/shifters)?

2. Cables – cut conservatively knowing that I could always shorten later… look too long?

3. Trouble shifting – sometimes in the mid gears of my cassette I shift using the index lever, the levers click indicating a shift, but the chain doesn’t move. If I wait and ride around like this sometimes it eventually shifts (seems to shift when bumps are hit) and sometimes it doesn’t. If I shift a second time sometimes it jumps two gears or only shifts a single ring. The high and the low seem to be set properly as I can get to the largest and smallest cogs. Could this be due to too long housing? I have SLX 3x9 shifters, Deore DX derailleur, Ultegra 13-25 9 speed cassette, and 9 speed shimano chain.

Last edited by tjc4golf; 05-01-10 at 08:42 PM.