View Single Post
Old 05-02-10, 04:24 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rothenfield1
I'm considering doing my first overnighter too. I was thinking about riding down to Big Sur from Marina. You can hop on the Coastal Trail in Marina and ride to Monterey, work you way around Pacific Grove to Pebble Beach and the 17 mile scenic drive then onto Hwy 1 to Big Sur. I think it can be done in a day, but am not sure. I see peopling touring that way all the time, so there must be plenty of places to camp. Maybe someone else could weigh in?
Yes, that's certainly a possibility. I frequently head down the coast on my way to the Great Western Bike Rally and we stay one night in Monterey at Veterans Park and then ride through 17-Mile Dr. and on to Big Sur the next day. It's about 45 miles to the Big Sur campground which does have a nice Hike&Bike section. A few miles before that campground is the one at Andrew Molera park - not as sheltered as the one at Big Sur, but also an option. There are also a few other camping options farther down the coast: Lime Kiln (closed last year but probably open again), Kirk Creek, and Plaskett.

The previously mentioned Sam Taylor Park is also an excellent weekend destination starting from SF. Head out over the Golden Gate into Sausalito and then continue to San Anselmo and take Sir Francis Drake Blvd. to the park.

BTW, a few of us are planning a weekend trip on the 15th/16th starting at the Daly City BART station on Saturday morning and heading down the coast to Capitola. The next day we'll return on an inland route. Camping will be at the Hike&Bike site at New Brighton State Beach and others will be staying at a hotel in Capitola. Send an email for details if interested: prathmann@yahoo.com