Thread: Backache?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-05, 09:44 AM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berny
I've pretty much achieved a ride set-up and fitness levels which have overcome lower back pain problems which I've experienced previously on my regular training rides and smooth surface crit racing, but when I race one particular track, which has quite a lumpy surface, I get serious lower back pain. The circuit is also undulating and has lots of turns as it winds it's way through parkland.
I think the pain is a result of holding myself more rigid to maintain control over the bumps, particularly in the quickest part of the circuit.

Is there a good exercise I can do to strengthen my lower back to help ease this problem? I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Bern
Make sure your stomach muscles are strong, especially the lower abdominals. The the muscles in your back are usually very strong--they have been working since you started to walk to keep you upright, and strong stomach/abdominals really help to balance out the stresses on the spine. I once read a doctor who thought that most back problems would be cured/helped greately by strengthening the abdominals.

Ride lighter in the seat or even lift yourself out of the seat lightly. Make sure your back is properly positioned, and your cycling posture good. You might try relaxing the lower back, much as you might if you have ever "sat to a trot" on a horse.