Old 05-03-10, 04:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
Yes, running the chainring flipped will improve it's life as it brings fresh correctly profiled teeth to the loaded side of the chain. It doesn't help as far side wear at the points, but that should be a non-issue in SS, since there'll never be chains feeding from angles.

Either way, the one best thing you can do to prolong chainring life is to replace chains before they wear too much, and even consider rotating multiple chains every 500-1,000 miles, so you're not running stretched chains until the very end of the total life cycle. I rotate 5 chains trying to eek every last mile out of an old and not replaceable freewheel on my vintage bike. I'm about half way through, or on my 3rd pass through the chains and the freewheel looks almost new. Had I been on my third chain, each used to the end, there's no way it would be this good.

BTW- your chainring bolt head will stick out a bit because chainrings are only counter-bored on one side.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.