View Single Post
Old 05-04-10, 10:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by ClarkinHawaii
I figure that it's ok to use the entire length of the uncut fork; and plan on doing so with my new tourer. Why would the manufacturer make a steering tube that is longer than you can safely use? More money to make, more lawsuit risk, etc.
The uncut steerer (typical length 300 mm) is provided so the fork can be used on large frames with long head tubes, not specifically to let you put a huge spacer stack under the stem. A 62 cm frame could have a 220 mm headtube so allowing for a 30 mm headset stack height and 40 mm for the stem, that leaves only 10 mm of room for spacers.

That said, a 1-1/8" steel steerer should tolerate a rather large spacer stack with no problems. Easton allows up to 50 mm of spacers with its 1-1/8" CARBON steerer tubes, and steel is even more forgiving.

To the OP: I'll second joejack's question about your stem angle . Is the "17°" stem installed so it's level or so it's angled up? If it's installed level, you can gain significant height by flipping it over so the angle is up. If it's already installed that way, I agree, you need a higher angle stem or an adjustable one.