View Single Post
Old 05-05-10, 12:44 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Body type for competitive biking?

As my sophomore collegiate Track season comes to an end, I realize that my competitive days of running are running out. Although I realize that I have some talent, I do recognize that my body type doesn't really go with running and being competitive outside of Division III meets and low-key road races.

I'd venture to guess that if I trained for a marathon / half, I could probably get myself down to 1:14/2:45 at the moment, but much faster than that would be the luck of the draw.

I have recently seriously thought about taking up competitive biking and possibly turning it into a future sport.

I'm 5'6 and just under 150lbs. I can't drop weight. When running 90-100 mile weeks, I'd occasionally get down to around 146 or whatnot, but could never get below 145 except when dehydrated. A lot of the weight is in natural muscle. I have a lot of muscle in my lower body (from just running, I never lift lower) and have begun to wonder if maybe I would actually be better suited for biking. Its not my diet, I eat lots of pasta, fruits and veggies and no fried foods or junk foods.

I realize that obviously like any endurance sport, you have to practice a lot, but it seems like (from photos at least) many bikers tend to be a bit bulkier in their legs, which could benefit me?