Old 05-08-10, 03:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
We have found on our bikes that aero clipons are good for about 1mph speed increase in the 22-24mph range for the same power input to the bike and 1.5-2 mph faster at 28-32mph
at least that is how much we slow down when the pilot shifts from aero to hands on the brifters position. Depends on your speed capabilities, might not help much on a track where
speed is fairly constant and the ability of the captain to breathe adequately in the aero position can be a factor.
I'd agree that the aerobars are worth around 1mph, perhaps slightly less if you have areally good position already in the drops.

Getting the stoker in a really good aero position appears to be about 1/2mph. With the Cane creek speed bars, my stoker has helmet about a centimeter from my back, and virtually flat. This is a pic from last year. This year the aerobars are below the handlebars lowering my elbows about 2 inches, and Deb's bars are alsoa touch lower.

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.