Old 05-08-10, 03:14 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Onegun
Dr Gabe Mirkin uses an interesting setup for his wife Diane. It's a wide mountain bike bar with aero bars mounted on the ends. That puts her hands, (and aero bars), just slightly outboard of his hips, and he doesn't seem to have any problem mounting with this setup. I assume it's more for her comfort than anything else, but I'm willing to bet that it's more aero as well.

Pics are on the Panthers Tandem Club members page, then scroll down to the Mirkins.

There are also some pics of them riding this setup in the "Ride Pics" category.
We played around with aerobars for the stoker, but never found a way to make them really aero.

The advantage of our setup is it aloows the stoker to get a flat back, eliminates aspace between stoker and captain. and allows the stoker to get narrow, with her arms drafting my back.

The advantage to the aerobars extending from the cowhorns is that it gives the stoker support for their upper body. But adding effectively 6-8" inches of frontal area would hurt aerodynamics.

I've seen tandem set up for very long races (RAAM like) but I think they were conceeding some aerodynamic loss for a position sustainable over hours and hours of riding.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.