View Single Post
Old 05-10-10, 07:04 PM
erik c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chromenuts
Thanks very much for that info...someone else in the Mechanic forum gave a link to a wholesale tool site with reamers that are priced even cheaper than MSC. I do have very good mechanical skills and have worked as an auto mechanic and built my own bikes over the years..however, I'm wondering if this like many other machining processes requires a hand with some experience or a "feel". It is currently my only road frame, I have no desire to render it useless. Any guidance as to how the reamer should be set up and used would be helpful before I consider doing this myself. I want plenty of cutting oil and perhaps a way to set the tool up so that it very gradually reams out to the proper diameter that I need. Any input appreciated here.
Easiest way I've been show is to clamp the reamer in a vise on a bench and use the frame itself to spin in a clockwise direction. Start with a just slips in fit and make it larger as necessary till it is reamed to fit the post. It'll be a multistep process with an expandable reamer as they don't self adjust.