mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by EKW in DC
mev, you toured Russia and Ukraine? That's awesome. I was in Ukraine as a Peace Corps volunteer from 2000-2003 and have been to Russia four times (study abroad and other various return trips). Wasn't really into cycling yet then, and I'm just getting my feet wet when it comes to any kind of touring, but you must have had a blast! Where all did you go?

I can imagine that you drank a bit there, especially since you spent time w/ locals. It's a drinking culture - that much is for sure!
Only been in former Soviet Union (FSU) twice. In 2006, a six week trip cycling from Uzgorod, Ukraine (on Hungarian border) to Samara, Russia on the Volga River a total of 2600km and a week or two at end staying with friends in Penza. In 2007, a six month trip cycling from Amsterdam to St Petersburg to Vladivostok, a total of 13000km. That latter trip was mostly on the move, though I did spend three weeks brushing up my Russian in St Petersburg at a language school and I also spent almost two weeks in Vladivostok at the end.

One of the things I really like about touring is it gets you out and amongst locals and you get a certain feel of how people live and work, particularly in rural areas or small cities since you spend the largest amount of time there. I drank in moderation, but when staying with locals or visiting it was a matter of politeness to at least join in celebration toasts and similar things.