View Single Post
Old 05-13-10, 12:20 PM
sprocket47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheels for clydesdale

I apologize for the duplicate post (also in the clydesdale forum). But I figured there may be some experts on this forum that don't read the other - and this one has more detail, as I've learned people in this forum appreciate.

I currently ride a touring bike with very strong wheels (Mavic A319 with 36 spoke count) and have had little problem other than a loose spoke now and then. I'm upgrading to a speedier lighter bike and the LBS guy is trying to push me up the price chain and as they get higher in cost the spoke count goes down. Specifically I'm looking at the Trek 1.5, 2.1 or 2.3 (see below for the wheels on each model). He reassures me that the reduced spoke count from the 1.5 (32) to 2.1 (24) does not affect the strength of the wheel because the rim is deeper which compensates the lack of spokes for strength and saves rolling weight and says I won't have a problem. Is this legit? Will I end up spending $1000 - $1700 on a bike then a month later another $$$$ on new stronger wheels? I would rather not so could someone give this a look and let me know if I'd be safe on any of these models without an immediate costly wheel upgrade?

I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs and I commute on sometimes rough city streets.

1.5 - Bontrager alloy rims 32 spoke count ($1000)
2.1 - Bontrager SSR 24 spoke count ($1300)
2.3 - Bontrager Race 24 spoke count ($1600)
Another options:
Motobecane Sprint with Vuelta XPR PRO wheel 24 spoke count ($1000)
Kestrel Evoke with FSA Gossamer wheel 24 spoke count ($1300)

Last edited by sprocket47; 05-13-10 at 01:21 PM.