View Single Post
Old 05-15-10, 11:08 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by amy26
I'm planning on riding my first MS150 next April, and am considering buying a 2009 Jamis Aurora. Would this be a sufficient bike for this ride? I realize it is a little heavy at 27 lbs.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...09_aurora.html

Thanks for your help.
Rode the MS150 before on my 1988 Specialized Sirrus which is a vintage racing bike. Unless you have legs like Lance road racing gearing is a killer in the hills. If I could have my choice the Aurora with it's sport touring gearing would perform admirably in the MS150, plus it would be much more useful the rest of the year.

Most people have a racing mentality when it come to the MS 150 that lighter and faster is better. It's not their fault really but the MS Society does put a mixed message out that it's either a Tour like the Tour De France, or a Tour where your headed to a destination and camping at least once along the way. It really boils down to what you want out of the experience. If your looking to see how you perform over 180 miles of riding then you fall in the first group and should buy a Road (racing) bike. If you want to ride for the sake of riding and aren't worried about the clock and want a bike the won't beat you up over the distance the Aurora is a good choice.