Old 05-16-10, 10:44 AM
confounded

Bikes: Soma Buena Vista mixte single speed commuter, Aster 27 speed folder, Mercier Kilo TT Gold Digger fixie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
folding electric bikes (and the picycle)?

I'm wondering about the various folding bike options out there.

My local e-bike shop carries the Ecobike Vatavio, but it is currently out of stock so I haven't been able to ride it. I like, in theory, it's ability to be either a pedal assist or throttle bike, and the fact that it's a 6 gear rather than a single gear like the Ezee Quando (which I have ridden, but find too low geared for a single speed).

I also rode the IF Reach, but would prefer a bike with a throttle only option.

So I also visited another bike shop in NYC that carries the Kysmo folding bike, which while it matches up with all of the features of the Vatavio that I liked, the pedal assist option was not as smooth as the pedal assist on the Reach. Perhaps that's why the Reach is $2,750?

On the face of the Vatavio and Kysmo folder look nearly identical. Does anyone know if they are? Is the $1700 Vatavio a rebadging of a generic $900 Chinese folder or is it a distinct bike?

Finally, I'd probably be willing to forgo the folding option if the Picycle is really worth the money. Does anyone have experience with those beautiful bikes?

Thanks for any info you have on these or other folding bikes.