View Single Post
Old 05-17-10, 01:14 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
My wife and I really need our 24-34 when the pitch gets over 10%, but I'm almost at the point where I'd rather walk these stretches than put up with the large gaps in the overall cassette.
Not that this is a feasible solution for you, but as an example of the advantages of having more cogs/closely spaced, I really like my Campy 11-speed (12-27) on a tandem. Having the close spacing with 11 speeds allows smooth fine gradation in shifting, allowing us to keep an optimum cadence and effort while maintaining momentum on uphills, downhills, wind changes, etc. It is most helpful when riding in a group with more rapidly accelerating/decelerating half-bikes. We are better able to avoid getting dropped by strong riders, and we are more appreciated for our smoothness by the wheel-suckers behind us.

Our 12-27 11-speed does work with a triple even though there is no medium cage RD available. Campy makes a 12-29 cassette, I cannot vouch that this would work with a triple. A 12-29 11-speed would be nice on a tandem, as it would combine a wide spread in gears, but with fewer gaps.

Will the 11-speed hold up to the greater demands of a tandem? I don't know, we are the guinea pigs.