Old 08-23-02, 10:49 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by mechBgon
No offense, but I have to assume you've never been smashed head-on by a downhill rider and sent to the hospital, if you think the uphill rider should get out of the way...

The downhill rider MUST be prepared to stop in the event that he/she encounters an uphill rider who 1) does not see the downhill rider at all, or 2) cannot evade in time due to the closing speed of the downhill rider, or 3) has nowhere to evade to.
Well, you're right in the sense that I've never been plowed over by a downhill rider, at least not yet. But if I'm chugging uphill on a trail and I don't spend the whole time looking at my front tire then I might not have that problem. I agree that downhill riders should stay within their ability to control the bike -- you should be able to stop in time for anything you see on the trail -- but I don't agree that the right of way should go to the uphill bike. Some folks seem to be putting all the responsibility of stopping and getting out of the way on the person who is least able to do either one... the downhill rider.