Observer

Bikes: 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utah Laws

Here are a couple I disagree with:

A bicyclist traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic must ride as near as practicable to the right-hand edge of the roadway except: to pass, make a left turn or avoid hazards.

If a usable path exist for bicycles adjacent to a roadway, bicyclists must use the path and not the roadway.

I am glad it says "as practicable" but I often take the lane through intersections and have found it much safer to ride closer to traffic for visibility, especially given the aggressive and inattentive nature of drivers in Utah Valley. I think most commuters eventually learn that the closer you are to the "right hand edge" of the road way the more vulnerable you are at intersections.

The second law I feel violates the one we all know: that bicyclists have the same rights and duties as the operators of any other vehicle. There is a MUP here where I live and I often choose not to use it since it forces the use of cross walks and intersects a lot of exits from strip malls,private drives etc. where more people (myself included) nose out into the intersection for a better view at oncoming traffic. The last time I rode one of these I felt very vulnerable to getting hit.

My general issue with these laws is that they are made for the benefit of drivers and as such effect the safety of cyclists. It get's frustrating at times living in a community that is so pro-car and where most of the cyclists ride only recreationally away from major roadways.

How does one change this?