Old 05-20-10, 04:42 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
The Dragon and Blueridge are indeed great, but the best roads I've ever ridden in the country are up in Northern California. Better than Southern Cal, better than Blue Ridge, and even better than Colorado. No foolin'.
That particular road is Highway 36, between Red Bluff and Humboldt, CA. According to lore, the whole road crew was waiting for the earth-moving equipment. They were losing money waiting for the bulldozers to get through, so they simply lay the road around the counters of the land instead of making cuts. The result is there are a lot of unpredictable, decreasing radius turns, and several turns that apex at the peak of a little hill, so it's pretty thrilling. AND the asphalt quality is terrific. ANNND because it's such an annoying road for cars, there's very little traffic on it.
And there are several other great, great roads up that region, like Lassen Volcanic Park, Trinity River Valley, and Highway 1 along the coast, but 36 is easily the greatest motorcycle road I've ever been on. Just watch for deer and those corners that suddenly get sharp on you!

Big Sur Hwy is pretty cool too, if you can make it early morning on a weekday in the off-season. (It tends to fill up with RVs otherwise.)
On the east coast in Virgina, they got some super tech curves on a road call Rt211, when I was bangin it on the streets, I use to there all the time. We talking about 50 to 60 curves right tight together and mixture of off-camber, decreasin radius, double apex. Then a little further down the line, in West Virginia, they have the might West 33. two to three mountains right together with the same tech curves I mentioned above.

The next level is the racetrack..

Safe ridin to you..