Old 05-20-10, 07:22 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Great luck! Easy hitch swap for stock Tanjor unit!

I was having heel clearance issues with the stock hitch setup on my newly acquired Tanjor aero trailer, so I started to think of remedies. It's a chainstay mounted bracket, but because of my brake disc, I couldn't slide it far enough towards the axle to clear my size 12 shoes! I was also having my fender flap lightly rub the nosecone, scuffing it. You can make out the stock setup here:

I immediately envisaged a custom setup, with polished and anodized aluminum bits, maybe even a little carbon fiber layup thrown in there for zoom! factor. Being fairly broke, the limitations of that vision were quickly realized.

Undaunted, and following a tip from forumite Masiman, I happened across the Burley Standard Forged Hitch, and it looked perfect. I was able to grab the last one off the shelf at my neighborhood REI, and I raced home at the end of the day to try it out.

Sure enough, the rubber coupling fit the Burley bracket perfectly, and the piece slipped in behind the axle mounted receiver for my other, single-wheel trailer. Yes!

It has solved the problem of heel clearance and fender/trailer contact, and saved me a few dozen grams, too! All with ZERO modification! When does that ever happen?! Actually, I do need to lengthen the security strap a quarter inch to get it around the chainstay, but that's a snap.

In short, if you want to upgrade your Tanjor hitch receiver to a lighter, axle-mounted unit, grab a Burley Standard Forged!

Here's a pic:

Last edited by chaadster; 05-20-10 at 07:27 PM.