View Single Post
Old 05-23-10, 05:27 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by bobbycorno
There's also a phenomenon known as "pneumatic trail".
Interesting. I've never heard that term or heard of that concept. I wonder what physical factor causes it.

Originally Posted by bobbycorno
ps - Going to a narrower, higher-pressure tire isn't necessary (or always desirable) for better performance. Given two tires OF EQUAL QUALITY AND SIMILAR DESIGN, the wider, lower-pressure tire will actually be faster in most real-world situations (chipseal, rough roads, etc), as well as being more comfortable, longer-lasting and better-cornering.
That's certainly not the common opinion even here in BF. For example someone in one thread, possibly in C&V, mentioned how 25mm was the "sweet spot" for tires in my area (due to road conditions, partly). A good friend is an ex-bike racer and ex-bike mechanic and he tells me in no uncertain terms that narrower higher pressure tires is the lower-effort way to go. Of course, comfort isn't part of the race equation. So I'd be delighted if you could expound on your statement.

I just got back from 9 miles around town on new 25mm Pasela TGs pumped up to 115lbs, and I believe they roll more easily than the 28mm of the same tire. But then, what do I know? I never pumped the 28s up that high. And the 25s pumped up like that do feel harder.