View Single Post
Old 04-21-05, 10:25 AM
jimv

Bikes: Surly Steamroller, Rodriguez (custom SS)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somewhere between rumor and reality

Hi All...

Take this for what it's worth. I thought it was interesting.

My friend James and I were hanging out at R&E cycles yesterday, and met the KHS rep for the Pacific Northwest. James, a KHS Flite 100 owner, was giving the rep grief (in a friendly way) about their decision to drop the Sugino cranks in favor of the Truvativs. The rep said that they have received so many complaints about this that they are disccussing another change. The general desire is to go back to the Suginos but it would raise the cost of the bike a small amount so it may be some other crank. Dan (owner of R&E) pointed out that alot of their Flite 100 customers were already paying more because they're replacing the Truvativs with different cranks after they buy it (usually Sugino 75's).

Don't take this the wrong way, nobody was slagging Truvativ, just the choice of that crank to replace the Suginos on the Flite 100. Quality-wise, my understanding is that KHS is pleased with the Truvativs. I just think it's interesting and cool that they are listening to, and trying to please their customers, rather than just their bean-counters.

Of course, one could argue that he was simply telling us what we wanted to hear, but the discussion went on long enough and with enough detail that I felt he was being sincere....oh, and he was a big fan of the coaster brake .... now if that's not an indicator of fine character then I don't know what is 8-)

Jim