View Single Post
Old 05-24-10, 01:38 PM
gatechie291

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trunk rack for 2010 Prius

I recently leased a 2010 Prius, and I'd like to be able to carry mine and my girlfriend's bikes (a Novara Buzz V and a Novara Transfer). We'd most likely be taking trips under 5 hours, but we may drive between Boston and Atlanta a couple times per year (~1100mi). I may also like to use it on a daily basis, as I may want to carry my bike onto campus and ride it between classes.

Because it's a lease, I'm going to rule out hitch racks and roof racks and safely say that I'll probably get a trunk rack. Now first off, my dad let us borrow an old trunk rack (probably 15+ years old) on a 3 hour drive to the Cape. The bikes swayed, were about a foot off the pavement, and after getting there, we noticed that my girlfriend's car (a Saab sedan) had a fairly wide, but shallow dent in her trunk. Can anyone reassure me about trunk racks? Since it's a lease, I really don't want to have to deal with dents and/or scratches.

Now... which one should I get? REI is having their anniversary sale and they have a few Yakima models on sale (super joe 2, king joe 2, quickback 2), but they all got awful reviews on REIs site. I looked on Amazon and they seemed to get better reviews there... but I also saw the Saris Bones 2 and models by Allen and Hollywood Racks which all got good reviews as well.

My only criteria are that I stay under $150, the bikes don't sway, the rack is secure/sturdy, and it doesn't damage my car.

I have Amazon prime so I could get those models in a couple of days vs tonight/after work if you guys recommend yakima/thule models.

Any suggestions?

Edit: A hitch rack MAY be okay, as I've read that Priuses have a mount (so I could do it myself)... BUT I probably don't have any of the tools and the whole solution would be quite a bit more pricey than the trunk rack. Plus, I wouldn't be able to use it on my girlfriend's Saab (9-5).

Last edited by gatechie291; 05-24-10 at 02:03 PM.