Old 05-25-10, 11:29 AM
purplepeople
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The one thing most people don't realize when they load up a bike is how the weight rides. It's not just front and rear weight distribution that matter, but also the height at which the load is placed. The ideal position for carrying load on a bike is between the two wheels and as low as possible. IOW, the further you get from the 6 o'clock pedal position, the worse the bike will handle. Everyone that has loaded the top of a rear rack on has experience with this, especially if the load hangs off the back. Now, if the load is light or small it is possible to get away with these more extreme, but more visually appealing placements, but if you are going to sell food off the thing, your load weight will go up more dramatically that you probably think at this point.

Thanks about the bike. As I said it is extreme. But I think you mis-understood me. I was saying that a shorter bike, like any basic longtail can be used to carry a couple of typical plastic beer coolers... in a manner similar to the big bike. The food can be stored at fridge temperatures with ice packs and the seal ensures that weather and dirt do not get in. Easy to do and the handling will be much improved over any over the wheel load placement.

:)ensen.