Old 05-25-10, 05:59 PM
Porter20

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9; Madone 5.1; Trek 6500 & Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxelf
Oh, I was under the impression that the majority was 35 mph with a shoulder. That's good to know. I'm actually in Charlotte now, so I guess any part that's suitable for a long distance ride would be what we're looking for. Ideally, we'd like to ride from Corolla to Ocracoke, but yeah, we're not interested in 45 mph roads with no shoulder.
You may want to check with others; but I know north of Duck the speed limit goes from 25 to 45 & is 45 / 50 up to Corolla. There are some areas where their is large shoulders; but there are areas where they is no shoulder. They do have a bike path; but it is not a place to ride a road bike. There are bushes on each side & motorists that are coming off the side roads only about half the time stop before the path. Once you get south of Duck, the shoulder is limited; but from Kitty Hawk to Nags Head you can go to the beach road (#12) instead of 158 which is heavily traveled later in the day. I am guessing that is why the local group rides at 5:30 a.m. I really don't like the idea of a week off the bike; but I guess I am on vacation right?